Working together with local communities, we're helping to maximise the benefits associated with Gorgon.
Due to our location on Barrow Island, social impacts on the Pilbara are relatively minor. However, we acknowledge the importance of contributing to the prosperity and liveability of local communities. This is outlined in our Social Impact Management Plan (SIMP).
In developing the SIMP, we met with community groups and residents, government representatives, and local business leaders. A Community Reference Group (CRG) was established to provide ongoing input into strategies that will mitigate and enhance potential social and economic impacts associated with the Project.
Our SIMP focuses on the City of Karratha, specifically Karratha, Dampier and Roebourne, and to a lesser extent Perth, near contractor activity and supply bases. The SIMP guides the Project and contractors when implementing initiatives in the areas of: regional economic development; education, training and employment; and Aboriginal-specific training and employment.
Regional Economic Development:
- Increase the capacity and capability of Pilbara business
- Encourage local and regional businesses to participate in all phases of the Project
- Support regional economic diversification
Employment, Education and Training:
- Raise awareness of career pathways related to the Project
- Build WA skills capability to meet current and future needs of the industry
Aboriginal-specific Employment and Training:
- Enhance workplace understanding of social and cultural diversity
- Provide a range of training and employment opportunities for local Aboriginal people
Currently the Project is partnering directly with the following local organisations to deliver programs under the SIMP:
- Karratha & Districts Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Small Business Centre West Pilbara
- Many Rivers
- RSM Bird Cameron
- Pilbara Institute
If you would like to provide feedback on community matters regarding the Gorgon Project, don’t hesitate to contact us.